From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partition sizes and home directories
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:04:13
1 On Tuesday 25 October 2005 04:44, sean wrote:
2 > I know this can be a tough call on how to partition a drive, but I am
3 > looking for some input.
4 >
5 > My system will be used as for my own personal use, no server for
6 > outside, though I may run a web server for private in home use, some
7 > games, whatever I wish to play and experiment.
8 If you think you might do re-installs, put /home on a seperate partition,
9 otherwise I normally just have /boot and /.
10 >
11 > Users, mainly just me, and perhaps a family member or three.
12 > Here is what I quickly setup.
13 >
14 > $ df -h
15 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
16 > /dev/hda3 471M 271M 176M 61% /
17 > udev 1004M 208K 1004M 1% /dev
18 > /dev/hda1 38M 2.6M 34M 8% /boot
19 > /dev/hda5 4.6G 185M 4.2G 5% /var
20 > /dev/hda6 31G 2.3G 27G 8% /usr
21 > shm 1004M 0 1004M 0% /dev/shm
22 >
23 > What caught me off guard was that fact that /home is located under / and
24 > that is where my user profiles are being set, instead of /usr/home like
25 > it is on my freebsd system.
26 > When I copied over my personal files, it quickly filled up the /
27 > partition, which I have since deleted.
28 > Now I noticed that there is a /usr/home, what exactly is that used for,
29 > since users are not there by default?
30 >
31 > I would figure /boot does not really change much in size, leave as is,
32 > maybe shrink a few mb.
33 > /var, up and down, perhaps bring it down a gig, gig and a half.
34 > /usr, would grow depending on software installs, much as possible. I
35 > have not installed much currently.
36 > If /home was on its own, I am guessing that the current / allocation
37 > would be fine?
38 > Anyone confirm?
39 > Now I just have to figure what I want /home to be, or perhaps could the
40 > default setup for users be located in /usr/home?
41 > Would this cause problems?
42 > Is it non standard?
43 >
44 > Thanks