From: Digby Tarvin <digbyt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partition sizes and home directories
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:26:37
1 I would strongly recomend putting the home directory on its own
2 partition. It then doesn't matter too much where you decide to mount
3 it, although some broken applications may assume the Linux convention
4 of using /home, so it is probably safest to preserve this and use a
5 sym link if you want to be able to use the /usr/home you are familiar
6 with.
7
8 Always keep the root partition small and relatively stable, since it
9 is minimal platform from which the rest of the system can be recovered.
10
11 I keep mine to about 20M, so I don't need to keep a separate /boot
12 partition. /tmp is a sym link to /var/tmp, so that in secure mode
13 /var and /home are the only two filesystems that should need to be
14 mounted read/write. The former is writeable space for the system, and the
15 latter for users. Other filesystem should only need to be made writeable
16 when modifying the sytstem if everything is configured right.
17
18 In practice there are still some annoying exceptions (like /etc/passwd
19 and /etc/mtab) which mean you have to do a bit more work to get the
20 root filesystem able to be mounted readonly, but if it is small it
21 doesn't take so long to back it up and fsck it after a crash, so
22 it is probably only worth worrying about it for a secure system.
23
24 Regards,
25 DigbyT
26