From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Akregator.
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 14:52:47
1 Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG <at> verizon.net> writes:
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:16:36 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
6
7 > >> my package.use -fu is minimal. =\
8 > > I thought you'd been using Gentoo for ten years?
9 > >> What is the exact line I need to add to the pile of hacks, and
10 > >> workarounds in that file?
11 > > kde-base/baloo minimal
12
13 > I treat package.use as a last resort because, over the long haul it
14 > tends to fuck things up and is difficult to maintain. Whenever possible,
15 > I solve all issues with ufed.
16 > I didn't think it was possible to set a package like that, I thought it
17 > had to be something stupid like:
18
19 > >=kde-base/baloo-1.0
20 > or something, which I think it had to be at one point in time. or
21 > something to target the kde4 version and not the kde 5 version, or some
22 > other ninjitsu.
23
24 Hello Leon_nardo (Alan Grimes)
25
26 I just went back through your postings:: you are one hard headed dude.
27 Here is some clarity I think might help you if you willing to 'marinate'
28 on the advice a while.
29
30 YOU should not be running KDE. WE all know it's a conspriracy right out
31 of the aliens that inhabit the Berlin underground:: danger!
32
33 You can have QT(5) your way, it's call LXQT. The purpose of KDE is to
34 assimilate folks into QT, the KDE way. Clearly you are not so bane.
35
36 Second. Go to the gentoo-dev mailing list archive and find the thread
37 on 'lazy flags'. Therein are many snippets of how to modernize the entire
38 environment on flags. You are not alone in your frustration concerning
39 flags. Moving forward on the updated 'advanced-complex logic' that is
40 espoused in the the lazy-flags dev discussion, is mutually agreed to as
41 being a wonderful idea. However there does seem to be a lack of group
42 commitment and defensible ideals of constructs for advanced-complex logic.
45 Since you are so firmly rooted in your convictions, and have quite a lot of
46 contempt for the status quo, that the bright slackers on this list seem to
47 be content to live with; this is a wonderful opportunity for you to provide
48 leadership on advanced logic related to flags and auto-update scripts.
49
50 The gentoo-devs will welcome your keen insight, your wit and your ability to
51 toss verbal barbs, with the best of them. Seriously, you'll find an
52 environment where guys that code, before breakfast, will feed you all the
53 rope you need to get your gentoo derivative distro going. I think that is
54 what you need:: explore lazy flags, implement your vision, and create
55 your own gentoo distro. You would not be the first and you'd always be most
56 welcome to steal any and all codes from gentoo proper to keep your vision
57 alive. I'm so sorry that these older-and-wiser-conservative folks on this
58 list keep holding you back.
59
60 PS, drop us a line when your gentoo(ish) distro goes 1.0, I'm sure we all
61 want to test it out. OH, and there is even now a really cool app (from the
62 good KDE folks) that makes it very easy to package up your distro for
63 installation:: Calamares-2.1 [1]
66 [1] https://calamares.io/
69 hth,
70 James