From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: extract an image from a .doc file?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:11:35
1 2009/12/15 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>:
2 >
3 > On 14 Dec 2009, at 19:23, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
4 >>
5 >> ...
6 >> When I want to extract an image from a doc I save it as HTML. It saves
7 >> images in a separated folder and links it into the HTML. I simply go
8 >> to the folder and check the image.
9 >
10 > When I do this in Open Office the image in the resulting .html document is a
11 > .png. If I do it in Word for Mac it's a .gif, although there appears to be
12 > an option to use .png in the export options.
13 >
14 > I think the image is a bitmap & it's being converted. There's nothing else
15 > in the document that would explain it being 2meg.
16 >
17 > I'll try Renat's suggestion to use ImageMagick's `identify` command
18 > (emerging ImageMagick now), but will just mention it to the customer this
19 > afternoon.
20
21 I'm guessing that the OOo HTML converter will probably turn images
22 into PNGs. If you want to see what the original format is then open
23 the .doc file using OOo and Save As an ODF file - OOo's open document
24 format. Then unzip it and in the folder that is created amongst other
25 you will find:
26
27 -Configurations/Images
28 -Pictures
29 -Thumbnails
30
31 assuming that OOo was successful in converting them to a
32 non-proprietary format. However, if the signature file is a MSWindows
33 embedded metafile you may be out of luck. In that case the only
34 solution is to ask the originators of these files to paste/embed these
35 signature images as a png/jpeg file.
36
37 Coming to think of it, you may also be able to copy and paste the
38 image after you convert the file into pdf ... but I am not sure if
39 this is going to help with your problem.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick