From: Brandon Mintern <bmintern@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 18:46:10
1 My cleanup routine pretty much involves running vim on
2 /var/lib/portage/world and going down the list. If I see something I
3 definitely don't need, I remove that line. If I see something that I
4 don't remember what it was, in another terminal (just an ALT-TAB away)
5 I run "esearch package-name". After I'm done going through the file, I
6 run "emerge -a --depclean" followed by "revdep-rebuild".
7
8 Call me old school, but that method never takes me more than a few
9 minutes to do. I am also someone in the vim camp. It fires up quickly
10 and is very efficient for moving around files, which is what editing
11 configuration files is all about. Not to mention that I use it for all
12 of my programming as well (except that I'm just now starting to learn
13 SLIME for Lisp, pretty much a necessity).
14
15 The other thing I do is to run "emerge --sync" and "emerge -uDNav"
16 once a week (followed by "emerge --depclean" and "revdep-rebuild"). I
17 check the USE flags of the updated/newly-installed packages to make
18 sure they are what I want, using "euse -E", "euse -D", or editing
19 /etc/portage/package.use appropriately.
20
21 That's my input,
22 Brandon
23 --