From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:36:48
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 >> All kde all gnome all xorg for example, before update world.
4 >
5 > It seems fine in theory, but every time I've done it in real life I get
6 > into deep dependency trees that take more time to sort out than simply
7 > emerging world first.
8 >
9 > The trouble seems to be that it's easy to spot the high level packages
10 > that bring in all their DEPENDS - things like kde,gnome,xorg-x11. It's
11 > harder to spot the dependencies that want to bring everything back in
12 > again. kde is easy - the string 'kde' shows up in most of the names.
13 > gnome is harder as the names are much more randomly chosen.
14
15 It is turning into a hefty time sink but I doubt it would take less
16 time to grind out update world. And in this case I want to get rid of
17 all x related stuff for good.
18
19 I've found (just now) that using revdep-rebuild --pretend and then
20 going thru the list and emerge -vC parent packages or in some cases
21 emerge -v them will eventually get you a pretty clean start for build
22 world.
23
24 But in my case it was made a very lot easier by knowing in advance I
25 wanted no media related gnome, kde, xorg type stuff.
26
27 It meant I could run stuff like:
28
29 for ii in $(eix -Ic |grep x11-|awk '/^\[/{print $2}' |sort)
30 do
31 emerge -avC $ii; done
32 done
33
34 Insert media-app, plugin, kde, gnome in the grep part and walk thru
35 using `ask' in case something needs to be left alone.
36
37 Then following up with several runs at revdep-rebuild as cited above.
38
39 That has taken a while.. several hours... but wouldn't such big update
40 world have taken at least a day?
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list