From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 03:34:25
1 On 08/03/14 08:54, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I'm doing some research on the topic of LiveCD's and was after any
4 > input the list may have.
5 >
6 > I'm a tutor at a Uni in Australia teaching, amongst others, 1st year
7 > Engineering students. We teach them C. Last year we had a lab set up and
8 > as well, they could ssh into a Linux box from home so that they could do
9 > assignments. Now due to a bureaucratic change ssh access is now gone.
10 >
11 > I would guess that there would be under 1% Linux penetration with
12 > respect to home computers and I've tried, in the past, to help students
13 > set up a dev environment on Macs - a horrid experience, and lets not
14 > even mention trying to easily set up Win* with a dev environemt
15 >
16 > I'm looking for a lightweight LiveCD that includes a graphical
17 > environment and gcc/clang so that we can make it available on our
18 > internal network for the students to download/burn and use at home. Does
19 > anyone have any ideas/experience in something like this? I've looked at
20 > Lubuntu but it lacks gcc.
21 >
22 > Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
23 >
24 > Andrew
28 Hi Andrew ... I stopped doing this awhile back when broadband became
29 common. Now I tell them to download and install via linuxmint/ubuntu
30 etc. and let the distros do the heavy lifting (in virtual box if they
31 dont have the hardware) - and supply a set of instructions to install
32 the wanted packages and configuration (which I have sometimes done by a
33 downloadable script which abbreviates the instructions.)
34
35 I have used gentoo in labs for some low level tasks/demos and point
36 students to it if they really want to learn about Linux but for most
37 undergrad courses its too non-core to actually get them to build a
38 system. Catalyst can build a customised gentoo system but a) its a lot
39 of work for a small gain and b) you will find yourself doing a lot of
40 support better done by the distros (help, mailing lists, updates, fixes,
41 ...)
42
43 BillK