From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:54:54
1 Hi all,
2 I'm doing some research on the topic of LiveCD's and was after any
3 input the list may have.
4
5 I'm a tutor at a Uni in Australia teaching, amongst others, 1st
6 year Engineering students. We teach them C. Last year we had a lab set
7 up and as well, they could ssh into a Linux box from home so that they
8 could do assignments. Now due to a bureaucratic change ssh access is now
9 gone.
10
11 I would guess that there would be under 1% Linux penetration with
12 respect to home computers and I've tried, in the past, to help students
13 set up a dev environment on Macs - a horrid experience, and lets not
14 even mention trying to easily set up Win* with a dev environemt
15
16 I'm looking for a lightweight LiveCD that includes a graphical
17 environment and gcc/clang so that we can make it available on our
18 internal network for the students to download/burn and use at home. Does
19 anyone have any ideas/experience in something like this? I've looked at
20 Lubuntu but it lacks gcc.
21
22 Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
23
24 Andrew