From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trackpad nightmare: Elantech ETPS/2
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 17:45:04
1 On Tuesday, 5 May 2020 15:28:15 BST inasprecali wrote:
2 > On Tue, 5 May 2020 14:58:32 +0100
3 >
4 > Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > My laptop's trackpad is an ETPS/2 Elantech on a ThinkPad Yoga
6 > > 260 (ca. 2016). Every so often it freezes and refuses to respond
7 > > to any and all input. The freeze usually lasts for a second or
8 > > so, but can sometimes be longer in the range of 10-15 seconds or
9 > > even freeze indefinitely until the "psmouse" kernel module is
10 > > reloaded. It also experiences "jumping" behaviour, most commonly
11 > > encountered when press-holding one of the companion buttons
12 > > along with a dragging gesture, but that's not an exclusive
13 > > scenario.
14 >
15 > I experience very similar symptoms on my ThinkPad 13. It doesn't
16 > happen often, but it does sometimes happen.
17 >
18 > > A quick Google search can reveal complaints about this issues
19 > > across distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian) that can be traced
20 > > back to at least 2012 in various laptop models. There also
21 > > appears to be a related upstream kernel bug [1] that has been
22 > > left in limbo.
23 >
24 > I noticed this as well, it's almost certainly a bug in Linux
25 > itself which, for some reason, has never been fixed after all
26 > these years. I don't think Gentoo can do much about it.
27 >
28 > Unfortunately I'm not aware of any real solution, but as a
29 > workaround, you can unmount and re-mount the psmouse module when
30 > the problem occurs (if psmouse is not built compiled as a module,
31 > I suggest you do it). At least this is what works for me, YMMV:
32 >
33 > # modprobe -r psmouse
34 > # modprobe psmouse
35
36 I'm on an old Lenovo which must have different hardware/firmware. It does not
37 suffer from such trackpad problems. Just an idea: have you migrated your
38 system to libinput driver and removed all old synaptics syntax in /etc/X11/
39 xorg.conf.d/ to avoid potential clashes?