From: inasprecali <inasprecali@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trackpad nightmare: Elantech ETPS/2
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 14:28:28
1 On Tue, 5 May 2020 14:58:32 +0100
2 Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > My laptop's trackpad is an ETPS/2 Elantech on a ThinkPad Yoga
4 > 260 (ca. 2016). Every so often it freezes and refuses to respond
5 > to any and all input. The freeze usually lasts for a second or
6 > so, but can sometimes be longer in the range of 10-15 seconds or
7 > even freeze indefinitely until the "psmouse" kernel module is
8 > reloaded. It also experiences "jumping" behaviour, most commonly
9 > encountered when press-holding one of the companion buttons
10 > along with a dragging gesture, but that's not an exclusive
11 > scenario.
12
13 I experience very similar symptoms on my ThinkPad 13. It doesn't
14 happen often, but it does sometimes happen.
15
16 > A quick Google search can reveal complaints about this issues
17 > across distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian) that can be traced
18 > back to at least 2012 in various laptop models. There also
19 > appears to be a related upstream kernel bug [1] that has been
20 > left in limbo.
21
22 I noticed this as well, it's almost certainly a bug in Linux
23 itself which, for some reason, has never been fixed after all
24 these years. I don't think Gentoo can do much about it.
25
26 Unfortunately I'm not aware of any real solution, but as a
27 workaround, you can unmount and re-mount the psmouse module when
28 the problem occurs (if psmouse is not built compiled as a module,
29 I suggest you do it). At least this is what works for me, YMMV:
30
31 # modprobe -r psmouse
32 # modprobe psmouse