From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I really need a sshd?
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:16:41
1 On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:36:20 +0200, Gevisz wrote:
2
3 > > > I was afraid to run etc-update as man says it will replace
4 > > > everything automatically. However, I run dispatch-conf and it does
5 > > > not see any problems at /etc/ssh, which have only the following
6 > > > three files: moduli, ssh_config, sshd_config (though I have
7 > > > added /etc/ssh to CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK).
8 > >
9 > > Why did you do that? By masking out config file protection
10 > > for /etc/ssh there will never be anything to be managed by etc-update
11 > > as you have told portage to replace those files blindly and without
12 > > asking.
13 >
14 > From man "dispatch-conf":
15
16 CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK is a make.conf setting, read that man page. It means
17 your config files are overwritten at install time, way be for you run
18 dispatch-conf or one of its friends.
19
20 > dispatch-conf will check all directories in the CONFIG_PROTECT
21 > variable. All config files found in CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK will
22 > automatically be updated for you by dispatch-conf.
23
24 > 3) I will continue to do this job manually with gvimdiff as I have
25 > found it much more convenient than dispatch-conf (gvimdiff shows
26 > the differences a way much better).
27
28 I prefer conf-update but most of these tools allow you to specify your
29 own diff program if you don't like the default. I use colordiff with
30 conf-update.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.