From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I really need a sshd?
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 21:50:15
1 On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 10:16:20 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:36:20 +0200, Gevisz wrote:
5 >
6 > > > > I was afraid to run etc-update as man says it will replace
7 > > > > everything automatically. However, I run dispatch-conf and it
8 > > > > does not see any problems at /etc/ssh, which have only the
9 > > > > following three files: moduli, ssh_config, sshd_config (though
10 > > > > I have added /etc/ssh to CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK).
11 > > >
12 > > > Why did you do that? By masking out config file protection
13 > > > for /etc/ssh there will never be anything to be managed by
14 > > > etc-update as you have told portage to replace those files
15 > > > blindly and without asking.
16 > >
17 > > From man "dispatch-conf":
18 >
19 > CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK is a make.conf setting, read that man page. It
20 > means your config files are overwritten at install time, way be for
21 > you run dispatch-conf or one of its friends.
22
23 The man page for make.conf actually refers to the CONFIGURATION FILES
24 section of emerge man page. There, indeed, everything explained very
25 clearly and in details. However, it does not work so for my system.
26
27 Thus, I have the following settings
28
29 $ echo $CONFIG_PROTECT
30 /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt
31
32 $ echo $CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK
33 /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/terminfo
34 /etc/dconf /etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/texmf/language.dat.d
35 /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/revdep-rebuild
36
37 but, nevertheless, I see the usual "protected" behavior for all config
38 files in my /etc directory and its subdirectories, that is, instead of
39 overriding them while running emerge world, the system creates the
40 corresponding ._cfg????_* files.
41
42 And this, in my view, contradicts with the following statement from
43 emerge man pages: "Protected directories are set using the
44 CONFIG_PROTECT variable", as in my case /etc have not been set in
45 my CONFIG_PROTECT variable.
46
47 > > dispatch-conf will check all directories in the CONFIG_PROTECT
48 > > variable. All config files found in CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK will
49 > > automatically be updated for you by dispatch-conf.
50 >
51 > > 3) I will continue to do this job manually with gvimdiff as I have
52 > > found it much more convenient than dispatch-conf (gvimdiff shows
53 > > the differences a way much better).
54 >
55 > I prefer conf-update but most of these tools allow you to specify your
56 > own diff program if you don't like the default. I use colordiff with
57 > conf-update.
58
59 Ok, thank you. I will try some of these tools together with gvimdiff
60 when I will have to update my config files in the future.