From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:34:34
1 On Sunday 27 Jul 2014 15:05:53 Dale wrote:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-07-27 14:36]:
4 > >> meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > >>> Back to the initial problem: How can I offline test the rest of the
6 > >>> disk if the first bad sector (10%) of the surface breaks the test with
7 > >>> an error? Best regards, mcc
8 > >>
9 > >> I never got mine to go past the first failure until I used dd to erase
10 > >> the drive. As mentioned before, I may could have done that without
11 > >> moving my data but that was to complicated and risky for me at the
12 > >> time. From my understanding tho, until that data is moved off the bad
13 > >> spot so that the drive knows it can do what it needs to, that spot is
14 > >> still going to show up. I don't know of a way to make it test beyond
15 > >> the bad spot either.
16 > >>
17 > >> If you have a drive that you can move that data over to so that you can
18 > >> play with the bad drive, that's what I would do. Once you get it moved,
19 > >> then dd the whole drive, run the test and then see what results you
20 > >> get. I looked at a howto that someone posted or I found and doing it
21 > >> with the data on there just made me nervous.
22 > >>
23 > >> I'm running out of info here. Anyone else provide more help than me?
24 > >>
25 > >> Dale
26 > >>
27 > >> :-) :-)
28 > >
29 > > Hi Dale,
30 > >
31 > > thanks for the info...
32 > >
33 > > I already did this. PLEASE read my previous posting completly.
34 > >
35 > > dd failed with an I/O error at that spot.
36 >
37 > Hmmmm. I'd be getting my data off there or some sort of backup and then
38 > try erasing the whole drive. If that fails as well, then it seems like
39 > you need a box and some shipping to get a replacement if it is under
40 > warranty. If the dd fails, that sounds like maybe it has a error it
41 > can't correct for some reason. I think dd does its thing on a basic
42 > level and I have never had it give me a error except for running out of
43 > space when it is done. I'm sure if the command you used was wrong, Neil
44 > would have picked up on it and said something. So, I don't think you
45 > are doing anything wrong, I just think your drive may have even more
46 > serious issues than mine had.
47 >
48 > Unless someone else comes on with a idea on something else to try, I'd
49 > be looking for somewhere to put my data and a different drive. If after
50 > that you can get it working, well, you got a spare. If not, it was
51 > broke anyway.
52 >
53 > I hope someone else has more ideas.
54
55 Does it still error out if you run the commands in this sequence?
56
57 mkswap -L swap -f -c /dev/sda2
58 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=512 conv=notrunc
59
60 Also, did you try the 'hdparm --write-sector' option that Volker mentioned?
63 Regards,
64 Mick