From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:06:22
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-07-27 14:36]:
3 >> meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> Back to the initial problem: How can I offline test the rest of the
5 >>> disk if the first bad sector (10%) of the surface breaks the test with
6 >>> an error? Best regards, mcc
7 >> I never got mine to go past the first failure until I used dd to erase
8 >> the drive. As mentioned before, I may could have done that without
9 >> moving my data but that was to complicated and risky for me at the
10 >> time. From my understanding tho, until that data is moved off the bad
11 >> spot so that the drive knows it can do what it needs to, that spot is
12 >> still going to show up. I don't know of a way to make it test beyond
13 >> the bad spot either.
14 >>
15 >> If you have a drive that you can move that data over to so that you can
16 >> play with the bad drive, that's what I would do. Once you get it moved,
17 >> then dd the whole drive, run the test and then see what results you
18 >> get. I looked at a howto that someone posted or I found and doing it
19 >> with the data on there just made me nervous.
20 >>
21 >> I'm running out of info here. Anyone else provide more help than me?
22 >>
23 >> Dale
24 >>
25 >> :-) :-)
26 >>
27 > Hi Dale,
28 >
29 > thanks for the info...
30 >
31 > I already did this. PLEASE read my previous posting completly.
32 >
33 > dd failed with an I/O error at that spot.
39 Hmmmm. I'd be getting my data off there or some sort of backup and then
40 try erasing the whole drive. If that fails as well, then it seems like
41 you need a box and some shipping to get a replacement if it is under
42 warranty. If the dd fails, that sounds like maybe it has a error it
43 can't correct for some reason. I think dd does its thing on a basic
44 level and I have never had it give me a error except for running out of
45 space when it is done. I'm sure if the command you used was wrong, Neil
46 would have picked up on it and said something. So, I don't think you
47 are doing anything wrong, I just think your drive may have even more
48 serious issues than mine had.
49
50 Unless someone else comes on with a idea on something else to try, I'd
51 be looking for somewhere to put my data and a different drive. If after
52 that you can get it working, well, you got a spare. If not, it was
53 broke anyway.
54
55 I hope someone else has more ideas.
56