From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:20:09
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-07-27 14:36]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Back to the initial problem: How can I offline test the rest of the
4 > > disk if the first bad sector (10%) of the surface breaks the test with
5 > > an error? Best regards, mcc
6 >
7 > I never got mine to go past the first failure until I used dd to erase
8 > the drive. As mentioned before, I may could have done that without
9 > moving my data but that was to complicated and risky for me at the
10 > time. From my understanding tho, until that data is moved off the bad
11 > spot so that the drive knows it can do what it needs to, that spot is
12 > still going to show up. I don't know of a way to make it test beyond
13 > the bad spot either.
14 >
15 > If you have a drive that you can move that data over to so that you can
16 > play with the bad drive, that's what I would do. Once you get it moved,
17 > then dd the whole drive, run the test and then see what results you
18 > get. I looked at a howto that someone posted or I found and doing it
19 > with the data on there just made me nervous.
20 >
21 > I'm running out of info here. Anyone else provide more help than me?
22 >
23 > Dale
24 >
28 Hi Dale,
29
30 thanks for the info...
31
32 I already did this. PLEASE read my previous posting completly.
33
34 dd failed with an I/O error at that spot.