From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ip_conntrack - is it missing
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:50:57
1 On Monday 07 January 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Monday 7 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > > Should I have compiled them directly into the kernel?
4 >
5 > Well, this is usually a matter of debates. For iptables stuff, I
6 > generally compile everything into the kernel, but I'm sure there are
7 > people who can find good reasons for using modules. So, it's ultimately
8 > up to you.
9 >
10 > If you want iptables to be active and working all the time, then I think
11 > you can compile its stuff into the kernel. It would be nice if someone
12 > who uses modules also showed his reasons for keeping it as modules, so
13 > you could get a better picture and make a more informed decision.
14
15 # ls -la /proc/net/ip_conntrack
16 -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Jan 8 08:34 /proc/net/ip_conntrack
17 # cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack
18 #
19 # ls -la /proc/net/nf_conntrack
20 -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Jan 8 08:40 /proc/net/nf_conntrack
21 # cat /proc/net/nf_conntrack
22 #
23
24 I'm currently on the train with no internet connection. Both of the above
25 files are empty. On the other hand when online they show my current
26 connections. The above has been compiled into my kernel. I used to compile
27 iptables stuff as modules, but only a few of them these days. The reason was
28 that I did not know which I was going to use and therefore I could modprobe
29 them later on as and when required. The other reason (that I never actually
30 put into practice) was to patch the kernel with the latest & greatest iptable
31 modules updates and modprobe accordingly. If you know what you need in terms
32 of iptables kernel options go with the built-in-kernel choice; if not,
33 built-as-modules could be better - unless you prefer a fat kernel for no
34 reason.
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick