From: "Mickaël Bucas" <mbucas@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tailing compressed build logs
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 07:52:24
1 Le mar. 7 mars 2023 à 05:36, Bryan Gardiner <bog@××××××.net> a écrit :
2 >
3 > Hi folks,
4 >
5 > How can I follow Portage's compressed build logs in real time as they
6 > are generated?
7 >
8 > I keep build logs and use FEATURES=compress-build-logs so that they
9 > don't get too large. I can peek at how a build is going with zless on
10 > build.log.gz, which doesn't update (understandably), but I would
11 > really like to be able to watch a log with some "tail -f" equivalent.
12 > I get streaming output with
13 >
14 > tail -c +1 -f build.log.gz | od -t x1
15 >
16 > but the following hangs with no output:
17 >
18 > tail -c +1 -f build.log.gz | gunzip
19 >
20 > even with a build log that is 72KB compressed (2.4MB uncompressed),
21 > which should be larger than any pipe buffers... Any idea why gunzip
22 > can't handle this, or what I should I should be doing instead?
23 >
24 > Thanks,
25 > Bryan
26 >
27 Hi
28
29 Reading the man page, "zless" is just a wrapper around "less".
30 You can check with:
31 $ file $(which zless)
32 /usr/bin/zless: POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable
33 $ less $(which zless)
34
35 So it should support the same options including typing "F" at the end
36 of a file to keep trying to read when the end of file is reached.
37
38 I made a small test, but it didn't work:
39 # Create a growing file
40 $ yes | nl | gzip > zless-test.gz &
41 # Try to follow at the end
42 $ zless zless-test.gz
43
44 With ">" to go to the end and "F" to continue, I didn't get the
45 expected behavior, it stood still at the point I was viewing.
46 I don't know if it's really a bug or if I made a mistake...
47 (Don't forget to stop the growing file :) )
48
49 Best regards
50
51 Mickaël Bucas