From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My first initramfs
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 13:39:49
1 On 11/17/2013 12:15 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-11-12 4:55 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>> Depending on your system, you might want to add one or more of the
4 >>> following options:
5 >>> Option Description
6 >>> --disklabel Add support for LABEL= settings in your /etc/fstab
7 >>> --dmraid Add support for fake hardware RAID
8 >>> --firmware Add in firmware code found on the system
9 >>> --gpg Add in GnuPG support
10 >>> --iscsi Add support for iSCSI
11 >>> --luks Add support for luks encryption containers
12 >>> --lvm Add support for LVM
13 >>> --mdadm Add support for software RAID
14 >>> --multipath Add support for multiple I/O access towards a SAN
15 >>> --zfs Add support for ZFS
16 >>
17 >> So, are these *all* of the potential options? If so, then I can probably
18 >> safely say that all I need is lvm...
21 these options say do additional tasks. i.e. initialise lvm volume groups
22 or search and start all mdraid devices. or all of the above.
23 you only need lvm if root/usr is on lvm.
24 you only need mdadm if root/usr is on a mdraid
25 if your root/usr is on a normal device like /dev/sda3 but all data
26 drives are on lvm then you still do not need these options.
27 they are just what to do in the initramfs to get root mounted.
28
29 > Never got a response to this...
30 >
31 > Maybe I can ask another way...
32 >
33 > Is this a complete list of the items that may break BOOTING? I
34 > understand now that you can add pretty much any drivers that you want,
35 > but on my server (that has the separate /usr), modules are disabled
36 > and so I have every driver and filesystem built into the kernel.
37 >
38 > Going just by the above list of items, the only thing I use is lvm, so
39 > I'm guessing (I *hate* guessing) that this is the only thing I need in
40 > my initramfs.
41 >
42 do you have kernel modules that are not compiled into the kernel in
43 order to mount root ?
44 i.e. is root on ext4 and ext4 is <M> in menuconfig
45 i.e. is root on an adaptec scsi card and the scsi drivers is <M> in
46 menuconfig
47 then you need to edit genkernel's modules_load
48 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-497370.html
49
50 for split /usr check out initramfs.mounts
51 http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-kernel/genkernel/files/initramfs.mounts?view=markup
52 i don't do this so can't comment if it works, maybe someone else can?
53 > Another question - is there any reason I couldn't just enable
54 > everything just in case? Or could that cause other problems?
55 >
56 if you have them selected anyway, it jus tmakes the boot process slower
57 as it scans for raid devices to find none..