From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 09:06:08
1 On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 00:48:01 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > It's quite simple logic... If a file is modified, it is no longer the
4 > > file portage installed, so portage does not uninstall it. If
5 > > anything, the problem is that the logic used by portage is too
6 > > simple.
7 >
8 > I don't think it's too simple. It seems exactly right for the task to
9 > me: clear, predictable and easily understood.
10
11 The only time it failed to be that, IMO, was when a GCC update forced
12 wholesale modification of .la files, which were then left because they no
13 longer belonged to a package. I believe this no longer happens.
14
15 > Personally, I'd be livid if portage were to remove my carefully crafted
16 > work from time immemorial, without so much as a by-your-leave.
17
18 I get the impression that "livid" is the polite version ;-)
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 WinErr 01B: Illegal error - You are not allowed to get this error.
25 Next time you will get a penalty for that.