From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 23:23:28
1 On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 6:52 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 1:16 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Up until a few weeks ago I would have advised the same, but WD was
6 > > just caught shipping unadvertised SMR in WD Red disks. This is going
7 > > to at the very least impact your performance if you do a lot of
8 > > writes, and it can be incompatible with rebuilds in particular with
9 > > some RAID implementations. Seagate and Toshiba have also been quietly
10 > > using it but not in their NAS-labeled drives and not as extensively in
11 > > general.
12 >
13 > I read somewhere that they knew they'd been caught and were coming clean.
14
15 Yup. WD was caught. Then they first came out with a "you're using it
16 wrong" sort of defense but they did list the SMR drives. Then they
17 came out with a bit more of an even-handed response. The others
18 weren't caught as far as I'm aware but probably figured the writing
19 was on the wall since no doubt everybody and their uncle is going to
20 be benchmarking every drive they own.
21
22 > Another case of unbridled capitalism and consumers being hurt.
23
24 I agree. This video has a slightly different perspective. It doesn't
25 disagree on that conclusion, but it does explain more of the industry
26 thinking that got us here (beyond the simple/obvious it saves money):
27 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSionmmunMs
30 Rich