From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 22:53:15
1 On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 1:16 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 2:29 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I've used the WD Reds and WD Golds (no not sold) and never had any
6 problem.
9 > Up until a few weeks ago I would have advised the same, but WD was
10 > just caught shipping unadvertised SMR in WD Red disks. This is going
11 > to at the very least impact your performance if you do a lot of
12 > writes, and it can be incompatible with rebuilds in particular with
13 > some RAID implementations. Seagate and Toshiba have also been quietly
14 > using it but not in their NAS-labeled drives and not as extensively in
15 > general.
16
17 I read somewhere that they knew they'd been caught and were coming clean.
18 As I'm not buying anything at this time I didn't pay too much attention.
19
20 This link is at least similar to what I read earlier. Possibly it's of
21 interest.
22
23 https://www.extremetech.com/computing/309730-western-digital-comes-clean-shares-which-hard-drives-use-smr
24
25 Another case of unbridled capitalism and consumers being hurt.
26
27 Cheers,
28 Mark