From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching adapter - power supply
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:57:11
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I have a small box "VIA Eden Processor 1200MHz" it runs my asterisk and
3 > hylafax but it is powered by those external 12V adapters (12V 5A).
4 >
5 > They don't usually last long, max 2-years or less. I have a spare unit:
6 > Switching Adapter Power Supply.
7 > The box is in remote location so if it goes down due to PS I have to
8 > there and restart it, it shut down twice on me this morning; I think
9 > this adapter is going slowly.
10 >
11 > If find/connect 12V adapter with higher Amps 10A or 15A will it help
12 > extend the live of the these external power supplies?
13 >
14 > Or take one of the old PS from an old case and solder the tip to 12V
15 > line is better solution?
19 I've worked with electrics for years. I've even designed and built
20 power supplies for various projects, not computer ones tho. I see what
21 you are thinking and in a way, it can be true. Sometimes if you buy a
22 power supply that can handle more than you use, it does last longer.
23 One reason for that, heat. If you buy a power supply that is just big
24 enough for what you need and it is made in a way that heat builds up, it
25 will shorten the life at least some. That said, if you buy a power
26 supply with the same rating but it is just much better designed and
27 built with cooling as a priority, then it will last longer as well.
28 Heat is one of the big problems with electronics. Power surges etc
29 would be my next concern.
30
31 My advice, prepare to pay a little more for a power supply that can
32 either remove heat better but be rated the same OR buy a power supply
33 that can provide more power and that lead to less heat since it is not
34 so heavily loaded. Either way, you will likely have to pay a little
35 more. One other idea, measure just how much power it pulls with a meter
36 of some type to be sure what it needs. It may be that it is not loaded
37 to heavy but just poorly designed or just to much heat. You may also
38 find that it is heavily loaded which makes a slightly larger power
39 supply a good idea.
40
41 I might add, when I buy power supplies for my puter rigs, I try to buy
42 one that will only be loaded at around 40 to 50%. One, it is lightly
43 loaded relative to what it can handle. Two, it will most likely handle
44 heat better at those levels. Third, it allows for upgrades, hard drive
45 additions etc without having to buy another one.
46
47 I hope that info will help.
48
49 Dale