From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Full disk encryption
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 15:04:22
1 On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:13:24 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> I need to fsck / before I mount /usr, /var and everything else.
4 > > Now it makes sense, but can't you use busybox fsck?
8 > I thought the file system was mounted ro, then the file system checks
9 > done, then remounted rw and boot continues on? I see mine do this
10 > without the init thingy and from what I see as things zoom by, that is
11 > what it does. What am I missing here?
12
13 That's how it normally happens, with or without an initramfs, but
14 mounting /usr on / without checking / first could possibly be problematic
15 if / turns out to be corrupt. That is the situation David is trying to
16 guard against.
17
18 I'm not sure it's a big deal, because if / is badly corrupt, the main
19 init will bail out soon enough anyway.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Love is grand. Divorce is a few grand more.