From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 05:23:36
1 Yes, VMWare is fit for the task, simply because I would be using it on
2 a windows machine. Unless there is something better for a windows
3 machine?
4
5 Thanks for the hints.
6
7 On 11/3/06, Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl> wrote:
8 > On Friday 03 November 2006 06:43, Trenton Adams wrote:
9 > > Hi Guys,
10 > >
11 > > Has anyone here played with minimalizing everything for use in vmware?
12 > >
13 > > Basically what I want to do is create a series of VERY tiny VMs that
14 > > are all independent of each other, which provide one service. For
15 > > instance, I might put apache on one VM, and tomcat on another, and so
16 > > on. Obviously, I would want their memory usage to be absolutely
17 > > minimized, seeing that I would like to run them all on one computer.
18 > > I would probably provide them 64M-128M of RAM each, for their specific
19 > > service. Perhaps a little more if really required.
20 > >
21 > > Is there really anything that I should worry about? Perhaps I should
22 > > just DO IT?
23 >
24 > Nick[1] made a post about minimizing Gentoo a while back.
25 > But that topic was mainly about the disk usage.
26 > I suppose you would benefit from a system that uses the -Os flag to create
27 > small binairies.
28 >
29 > But do you think vmware is fit for such a task?
30 > vmware is a big strain on resources itself.
31 > You might want to have a look at xen[2] instead.
32 >
33 > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/160899/focus=160903
34 > [2] http://www.xensource.com/xen/xen/index.html
35 > --