From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:16:06
1 2011/7/4 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > What mine does:  It sort of varies but usually when I login, it may last a
5 > couple minutes, usually less, then the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LED's
6 > blink.  The Num Lock key is off if that means anything.  I tried the SysReq
7 > keys but it doesn't do anything at all.  According to the messages at the
8 > next boot, it doesn't sync or umount either.  The mouse pointer no longer
9 > moves either.  At this point, I hit the reset button which causes steam to
10 > come out my ears.  I HATE using that button.
11 >
12 > I'm fairly sure this is not hardware.
13
14 You can never be sure about that.
15
16 >  Right now, I am in Fluxbox and it
17 > works fine.  I also booted to single user and compiled a bunch of stuff and
18 > also tried a different kernel too.  I think if it was hardware, it would
19 > have had some kind of hick-up during the compile.  I did check temps and all
20 > is nice and cool, very cool since my A/C is on full blast.  I think the oven
21 > is outside on full blast instead of in the kitchen.  lol  It's HOT here,
22 > steamy hot.
23
24 You can try turning off the compositing system altogether. You can do
25 that by disabling the desktop effects in systemsettings. If lockups
26 stop then it's probably something to do with your graphics driver and
27 if that's the case you might have better luck with an alternative
28 driver.
29
30 > I checked messages and the only thing I saw was about a bad option for
31 > hp-systray.  Surely that wouldn't cause a crash?  I'm going to unmerge and
32 > test it tho, just to be sure.
33
34 I don't think so.
38 Jesús Guerrero Botella