From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (still bad)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 20:17:26
1 On Sat, Jul 16 2016, Ian Bloss wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 8:25 AM allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
6 >>
7 >> Gentoo essentially all stable
8 >> Gnome / Systemd
9 >>
10 >> When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones are
11 >> plugged it.
12 >>
13 >> No sound at all with headphones. I tried a few, one with a microphone
14 >> several without.
15 >>
16 >> The gnome sound settings gui recognizes that the headphones are in but
17 >> the sound test is silent. If, with the phones still in, I select the
18 >> internal speakers, all sounds well.
19 >>
20 >> I installed pauvcontrol and selected "Output Devices".
21 >> When I selected "Speakers" as the port the volume meter moves around
22 >> normally and the sound is fine.
23 >> When I selected "Headphones (plugged in)" as the port the volume meter
24 >> again moves around normally but there is no sound.
25 >>
26 >> This laptop dual boots windows. I played the same movie on windows and
27 >> sound was normal both with the speakers and the headphones.
28 >>
29 >> What should I try next?
30 >>
31 >> thanks,
32 >> allan
35 > check either with alsamixer and make sure the headphone jack isn't muted,
36 > or look into pulseaudio if you're using that, although I can't help much
37 > there as I don't use pulse.
38
39 I tried alsamixer with interesting results. I used f3 [playback].
40
41 I first unmuted everything and tried to raise the volume of all.
42 I could raise the volume of all but the first headphone column
43
44 The columns from left to right are
45
46 Master Headphone Headphone Headphone Speaker PCM Auto-Mute et al
47 ^^^^
48 |
49 could not raise this column
50
51 When the headphone is plugged in the second column is set to un-mute and
52 the speaker column is set to mute. When the headphone is unplugged the
53 reverse occurs. All this looks right. But I can't raise the volume
54 setting for the second column (I can and did raise columns 3 and 4.
55
56 I sure looks like the headphone gets unmuted but is permanently at
57 volume 0.
58
59 Also the gnome volume control (top bar) shows headphone and when I move
60 its slider it raises/lowers the first column (master) volume.
61
62 To answer Alec's questions this is a 3.5mm jack. Nothing new in dmesg.
63 sudo lspci | grep -i audio shows
64 00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
65 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
66
67 I think/hope we are getting close and thank everyone for their help.
68
69 allan