From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Installation on Dell Inspiron Laptop
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:40:46
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 08:49 -0400, Colleen Beamer wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> I'm having a problem.
6 > [snip]
7 >> and then, the laptop shuts off on me.
8 >
9 > It does sound like an overheating thing, as already mentioned,
10 > especially since you had overheating problems before.
11
12 I sincerely don't think it's an overheating problem for this reason: I
13 reposted this message with an "addendum". The addendum was that I had
14 tried the installation with the Live CD using a gui interface. I had
15 started this late at night and went to bed. The kernel compile again
16 bombed, but the laptop did not turn off - it was still on when I got up
17 the next morning.
18 >
19 > Can you confirm that _all_ fans are working? I thought I only had 2
20 > fans, but there are actually 3, so watch out for hidden ones! Also, you
21 > could use the dell kernel module (i8k) to force your fans to full speed
22 > and see if that helps.
23
24 I'll try this suggestion. I am in doubt that it would be the fan
25 because the fan was just replaced under warranty by Dell
26
27 > Another possibility is your memory - maybe its going flaky? This is a
28 > common compile problem that gives varied results (lockups, panics,
29 > halts, etc). Try different ram if you have it, or only half your ram at
30 > a time if you have 2 sticks. You could also try the memtest bootable
31 > cd.
32
33 Will consider memtest as an option, but again, the memory is reasonably
34 new - it was upgraded recently to have more memory on the laptop.
35
36 Thanks for the response.
37
38 Regards,