From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Installation on Dell Inspiron Laptop
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:00:08
1 On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 08:49 -0400, Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm having a problem.
5 [snip]
6 > and then, the laptop shuts off on me.
7
8 It does sound like an overheating thing, as already mentioned,
9 especially since you had overheating problems before.
10
11 Can you confirm that _all_ fans are working? I thought I only had 2
12 fans, but there are actually 3, so watch out for hidden ones! Also, you
13 could use the dell kernel module (i8k) to force your fans to full speed
14 and see if that helps. Finally on the heating side, try taking it apart
15 (if you're happy with that - you break it you keep the pieces :) and
16 cleaning out all the dust / dirt from the fins.
17
18 Another possibility is your memory - maybe its going flaky? This is a
19 common compile problem that gives varied results (lockups, panics,
20 halts, etc). Try different ram if you have it, or only half your ram at
21 a time if you have 2 sticks. You could also try the memtest bootable
22 cd.
23
24 HTH!
28 One small step for man, one giant stumble for mankind.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list