From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:26:58
1 >> When I was using an Nvidia video card, I noticed a strange sort of
2 >> fuzzy edge effect if I used nvidia-drivers.  xf86-video-nouveau didn't
3 >> have the same problem.  Now I've switched to an ATI video card and
4 >> unfortunately I have the same problem with xf86-video-ati.  I tried to
5 >> enable the new modesetting radeon driver in the kernel to see if that
6 >> would help but it doesn't work with my HD4250 card yet.  Does anyone
7 >> know how to fix this?  Here's a photo of the effect around the mouse
8 >> cursor:
9 >>
10 >> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/cursor.jpg
11 >>
12 >> - Grant
15 > Hi Grant,
16 >
17 > just a shot in the dark:
18 > The image looks to me as thos would be an analog instead of
19 > an digital problem.
20 > May be both propietary drivers switch to the highest possible
21 > data transfer rate and this triggers the problem.
22 > To check, whether this may be the problem:
23 > Instruct the driver to use either low resolution or low refresh
24 > rates. Check both.
25 > If the problem changes signifiently: Change the cables.
26 > May be only a pluf is not inserted correctly.
27 > Addtionally you can move the cables arround to see whether
28 > this will change the shadows around the cursor in any way...
29 >
30 > Good luck! :)
31 > Best regards
32 > mcc
33
34 Thanks for that. I'm still working on it but adding radeon.audio=0 to
35 grub cleaned it up about 75%.
36
37 - Grant