From: me <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fire the fox.
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:57:20
1 On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 19 September 2010 18:07:11 me wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Daniel da Veiga
4 >>
5 >> <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 03:21, Francesco Talamona
7 >> >
8 >> > <francesco.talamona@××××.eu> wrote:
9 >> >> On Sunday 19 September 2010, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
10 >> >>> Is it just me?  Or does Firefox get slower every release?  And less
11 >> >>> stable.
12 >> >>>
13 >> >>> I got myself up to the latest, and I cannot install my 4 add-ons
14 >> >>> (xmarks, AdBlockPlus, Noscript, Stumble-upon) without it crashing.
15 >> >>> Seg fault sometimes.  I've got ECC memory, and no reported problems,
16 >> >>> and it does not help to clear the profiles (rename ~/.mozilla)  and
17 >> >>> re-emerge.
18 >> >>>
19 >> >>> Grrrrrr.
20 >> >>
21 >> >> Ditto. Every time slower and less stable. And when it crashes makes the
22 >> >> X destop crash too, I use it with firebug and it's slow as molasses.
23 >> >>
24 >> >> Looking forward to FF4, still not tried on Linux.
25 >> >>
26 >> >> greets
27 >> >>        FT
28 >> >>
29 >> >> --
30 >> >> Linux Version 2.6.35-gentoo-r7, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 17
31 >> >> 21:01:33 CEST 2010
32 >> >> Two 2.4GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 9648.04 Bogomips Total
33 >> >> aemaeth
34 >> >
35 >> > Well, guess I'm lucky then.
36 >> > I used it since 2.x and never had any problems. Never needed other
37 >> > browser in Linux. Looking forward for 4.x, but still, 3.6.x is my
38 >> > personal choice. Don't like chromium, not enough extensions, can't
39 >> > stand Opera, Safari or Konqueror for the same reason. If flashblock,
40 >> > noscript and adblock were available at any browser I could try it, but
41 >> > still, I don't see it in a near future.
42 >> >
43 >> > --
44 >> > Daniel da Veiga
45 >>
46 >> Chrome's set of extensions is growing rather large, and at least
47 >> contains most of what anyone would need, a bit short of 'want', but
48 >> covers needs fairly well. If you don't like chrome's interface I'll
49 >> not argue, but if the extensions are the one thing stopping you from
50 >> giving it a real try...
51 >>
52 >> Not quite NoScript, but aims to do the job:
53 >> https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcf
54 >> n?hl=en
55 >>
56 >> Flashblock:
57 >> https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gofhjkjmkpinhpoiabjplobcaignabn
58 >> l?hl=en
59 >>
60 >> Adblock:
61 >> https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglido
62 >> m?hl=en
63 >>
64 >> The biggest reason I've taken to using chrome, though, is that it
65 >> seems (purely subjective) to render pages far faster than anything
66 >> else I've used, though I've not run opera or safari in a very long
67 >> time.
68 >
69 > Opera is faster than FF for sure both on my amd64 and my x86.  I tried Chrome
70 > once (early days then) and I couldn't tell if it was faster.  I gave up on it
71 > because I was not sure if the browser was calling home with my browsing habits
72 > and if these were identifiable as coming from my machine/IP address.  In other
73 > words I wasn't sure to what extent Google was recording my Internet journeys.
74 > --
75 > Regards,
76 > Mick
79 I decided to forgo letting myself worry over what google is/isn't
80 getting regarding my internet usage around the time I started using
81 gmail, since I'm practically handing them more through that than any
82 access to my browser history or the like gives.
85 Poison [BLX]
86 Joshua M. Murphy