From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fire the fox.
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:18:57
1 On Sunday 19 September 2010 18:07:11 me wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Daniel da Veiga
3 >
4 > <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 03:21, Francesco Talamona
6 > >
7 > > <francesco.talamona@××××.eu> wrote:
8 > >> On Sunday 19 September 2010, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
9 > >>> Is it just me? Or does Firefox get slower every release? And less
10 > >>> stable.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> I got myself up to the latest, and I cannot install my 4 add-ons
13 > >>> (xmarks, AdBlockPlus, Noscript, Stumble-upon) without it crashing.
14 > >>> Seg fault sometimes. I've got ECC memory, and no reported problems,
15 > >>> and it does not help to clear the profiles (rename ~/.mozilla) and
16 > >>> re-emerge.
17 > >>>
18 > >>> Grrrrrr.
19 > >>
20 > >> Ditto. Every time slower and less stable. And when it crashes makes the
21 > >> X destop crash too, I use it with firebug and it's slow as molasses.
22 > >>
23 > >> Looking forward to FF4, still not tried on Linux.
24 > >>
25 > >> greets
26 > >> FT
27 > >>
28 > >> --
29 > >> Linux Version 2.6.35-gentoo-r7, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 17
30 > >> 21:01:33 CEST 2010
31 > >> Two 2.4GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 9648.04 Bogomips Total
32 > >> aemaeth
33 > >
34 > > Well, guess I'm lucky then.
35 > > I used it since 2.x and never had any problems. Never needed other
36 > > browser in Linux. Looking forward for 4.x, but still, 3.6.x is my
37 > > personal choice. Don't like chromium, not enough extensions, can't
38 > > stand Opera, Safari or Konqueror for the same reason. If flashblock,
39 > > noscript and adblock were available at any browser I could try it, but
40 > > still, I don't see it in a near future.
41 > >
42 > > --
43 > > Daniel da Veiga
44 >
45 > Chrome's set of extensions is growing rather large, and at least
46 > contains most of what anyone would need, a bit short of 'want', but
47 > covers needs fairly well. If you don't like chrome's interface I'll
48 > not argue, but if the extensions are the one thing stopping you from
49 > giving it a real try...
50 >
51 > Not quite NoScript, but aims to do the job:
52 > https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcf
53 > n?hl=en
54 >
55 > Flashblock:
56 > https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gofhjkjmkpinhpoiabjplobcaignabn
57 > l?hl=en
58 >
59 > Adblock:
60 > https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglido
61 > m?hl=en
62 >
63 > The biggest reason I've taken to using chrome, though, is that it
64 > seems (purely subjective) to render pages far faster than anything
65 > else I've used, though I've not run opera or safari in a very long
66 > time.
67
68 Opera is faster than FF for sure both on my amd64 and my x86. I tried Chrome
69 once (early days then) and I couldn't tell if it was faster. I gave up on it
70 because I was not sure if the browser was calling home with my browsing habits
71 and if these were identifiable as coming from my machine/IP address. In other
72 words I wasn't sure to what extent Google was recording my Internet journeys.
73 --
74 Regards,
75 Mick