From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:00:28
1 On Saturday 20 November 2010 00:22:49 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 01:21 on Saturday 20 November 2010, Neil
3 >
4 > Bothwick did opine thusly:
5 > > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:13:50 +0000, Mick wrote:
6 > > > Short of measuring the latency with some system (which I wouldn't know
7 > > > how) I have experimented with setting the /boot partition on primary
8 > > > and logical partitions and the difference (on a stopwatch) was
9 > > > measurable in seconds betweeen having said partition on a primary and
10 > > > having it on a logical.
11 > >
12 > > Are you talking about GRUB loading time, kernel loading or what?
13 > > Since /boot isn't normally mounted or used once the kernel is loaded, I
14 > > don't see how relevant this is.
15 >
16 > And:
17 >
18 > Boot time differences measured in *seconds*?
19 >
20 > fifty bucks says his fsck number came up
21
22 Yes, I'm talking about GRUB loading time.
23
24 This is a (touch wood) healthy fs which has been serving my wife happily for
25 the last 4 years ...
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick