From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:53:39
1 On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:45:15 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > Those particular colours are less useful, because they are designed
4 > > for a black background,
5 >
6 > But the default background on terminals under X has always been
7 > white (at least as long as I remember). Are there really a lot
8 > of Gentoo users who just run on the console and don't use X?
9
10 Until recently, it was all Gentoo users, since the installation was done
11 fro a virtual console.
12
13 > > but it is easy enough to change to a more suitable selection.
14 >
15 > My point was why default to something that isn't useful for the
16 > standard terminal emulators like xterm, aterm, rxvt, etc. Are
17 > there common terminal emulators that default to a black
18 > background?
19
20 Not that I know of, but that's irrelevant. The defaults fit what
21 *everyone* has, and can be so easily changed to suit the optional
22 alternative.
23
24 The important word here is "default", that's all it is, you can use
25 whatever colours you want, or none at all.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Failure is not an option...it is integrated with every Microsoft product.