From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:10:43
1 On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:51:19 -0800
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 3:21 AM, Alan McKinnon
5 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:17:07 +0100
7 > > Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> The 22/11/11, Alan McKinnon wrote:
10 > >>
11 > >> > I use virtualbox and it's the one I recommend.
12 > >> >
13 > >> > The kernel modules are no better and no worse than any other
14 > >> > out-of-tree modules.
15 > >>
16 > >> You're wrong. Using the virtualbox module means you turn the
17 > >> kernel to "tained crap" because of the number of problems it
18 > >> causes, including random memory curruption.
19 > >>
22 > > Care to back that up with something resembling evidence?
23 > >
24 > > EVERY out-of-tree module will taint the kernel. As to whether it
25 > > deserves the "crap" moniker is a matter of opinion
26 > >
27 > > --
28 > > Alan McKinnnon
29 > > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
33 > Alan,
34 > I'm a happy Virtualbox user so I was surprised to see this post on
35 > the LKML which I suspect pushed the consciousness of this a bit more
36 > to the forefront:
37 >
38 > https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/10/6/317
39 >
40 > Now, I have no problems with Virtualbox but I have no reason to
41 > disbelieve these folks either. As with a lot of these things, it's the
42 > devil you know or the devil you don't know. I suspect the other less
43 > used solutions also have problems but not as many users, etc.
44 >
45 > - Mark
48 Mark,
49
50 I too am a happy VirtualBox user. I find it works better and is far more
51 stable than either VMWare or Nvidia drivers. Or Flash for that matter.
52
53 I also know the Linux kernel devs have incredibly high standards - mere
54 perfection is often just not good enough - a very good trait in a dev. I
55 put it down to a distinct lack of technical design not being driven by a
56 corporate Sales department :-)
57
58 Having said that, Dave's mail sounds a lot like me sounding off on a
59 good day after the Nth clueless user pissed me off one time too many -
60 he makes a startling claim and then proceeds to not back it up, but
61 just rant.
62
63 Lets grant that the VirtualBox modules are not up to LKML standards.
64 That's fine, very little out of the tree is. I'm willing to bet that
65 the majority of the issues are silly bugs involving pointer arithmetic
66 (the usual cause of these things) and could be fixed up with minimal
67 effort.
68
69 Either way I don't think a sweeping condemnation of the entire product
70 is the right way to go.
71
72 Oh, I forgot something in the first paragraph. In my experience on this
73 machine we can add Firefox, OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice to the same
74 list of unstable software.
77 Alan McKinnnon
78 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com