From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:28:13
1 On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Lets grant that the VirtualBox modules are not up to LKML standards.
3 > That's fine, very little out of the tree is. I'm willing to bet that
4 > the majority of the issues are silly bugs involving pointer arithmetic
5 > (the usual cause of these things) and could be fixed up with minimal
6 > effort.
7 >
8 > Either way I don't think a sweeping condemnation of the entire product
9 > is the right way to go.
10
11 I read that entire thread back when it was highlighted on /.
12
13 1) The vbox driver is buggy.
14 2) The vbox driver is buggy in ways that cause crashes which are
15 difficult to debug and correctly attribute, which appears to be
16 discerned by statistical means.
17 3) The vbox driver upstream won't send their code to the kernel where
18 it could be cleaned up and kept in step with the rest of the kernel,
19 because it would restrict them from updating their API in future
20 versions.
21 4) The vbox driver functions as a wildcard when kernel devs are trying
22 to deal with bug reports in other areas of the code; just like heap
23 and stack corruption in userland apps are a royal PITA to deal with,
24 so are the same in kernelspace. The vbox driver is known to cause
25 these problems, so they don't want to deal with it.
26
27 Now, it looks like things may be in line to get better; the thread got
28 the attention of the vbox maintainers, and they started working on
29 ways to get flagged bug reports sent their way. That'll improve the
30 feedback they get. The code will probably improve as a result.
31
32 That said, drivers which cause random memory corruption are *not* ones
33 I want loaded into my kernel. Discussions around things like the vbox
34 kernel give me second thoughts about sweet dreams of mmapping
35 persistent storage block devices contiguously in a large address
36 space; I'd suddenly rather keep the window target small.
37
38 I've got nothing against proprietary drivers if they're good. I've
39 generally had good luck with both NVidia and ATI, for example. NVidia,
40 especially, has been quick to respond to issues by their user
41 communities
42
43 > Oh, I forgot something in the first paragraph. In my experience on this
44 > machine we can add Firefox, OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice to the same
45 > list of unstable software.
46
47 Apples and oranges. FF, OO and LO don't crash the entire system when
48 they go up. Protected memory FTW. Kernelspace stuff must be held to a
49 higher standard; they run in ring 0.
50
51 (Forgive the x86-specific terminology, but it should be analogous for
52 any protected-memory platform)
55 :wq