From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @preserved-rebuild EVEN IF some needed package is masked
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:41:11
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:16:05 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> So, as I have been saying all along, repeatedly, Gentoo did not drop
6 >>>> the ball here, KDE did.
7 >>>>
8 >>>>
9 >>> It's their ball, they can do whatever they like with it. It doesn't
10 >>> matter how much you complain, if unpaid, volunteer developers want to
11 >>> work on the new stuff, that is their choice, and an unsurprising one.
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >> Yep, it is their ball. It doesn't mean that I or anyone else has to
15 >> like it tho.
18 > No, but it doesn't mean you should keep complaining about it. It's their
19 > project and their choice. If you don't like it, ask for your money back.
22 Actually, I only told the OP, many many replies ago, that it was not
23 Gentoo's fault that KDE was dropped. Then for some crazy reason it
24 became my fault. It's not my fault at all. Any one who thinks so is
25 wrong. I had NO part in the decision to drop KDE 3 support by KDE.
28 >>>> If KDE didn't drop the ball then why is Redhat
29 >>>> having to step up and do the job on the KDE developers?
30 >>>>
31 >>>>
32 >>> They aren't, they are doing the job they were paid to do by their
33 >>> customers. If you want continued, guaranteed support for KDE3, you
34 >>> have two choices: do it yourself or buy a copy of RHEL with a support
35 >>> contract.
36 >>>
39 >> Then that would be the decision Redhat made after KDE dropped the
40 >> ball?
43 > No, it was the decision Red Hat made before they sold distros with X year
44 > support contracts, to provide a guaranteed level of support to their
45 > customers. Someone mentioned that 62% of KDE devs are unpaid, who do you
46 > think pays the other 38%.
49 So they did make the decision to continue support for KDE 3. OK. So
50 what? I wish them the best of luck. KDE still stopped the support.
51 Anything else you say will not change that fact. Again, Redhat is only
52 picking it up because KDE isn't doing it. That's what you just said.
53 If KDE was still supporting and developing KDE 3 then Redhat wouldn't
54 have to do what KDE used to do.
57 >> Again, someone picking up after KDE and doing what they could
58 >> have done. I wonder if Redhat likes having to do that? Wouldn't they
59 >> like their PAID people to be doing something else besides picking up
60 >> after KDE?
63 > They want their paid people to do their job of supporting their
64 > customers. KDE are also supporting their customers, which do not include
65 > you (or me).
68 It sure doesn't. I don't use Redhat. Honestly, I don't care what Redhat
69 decides to support or not to support. It doesn't seem to affect me or
70 Gentoo one little bit.
73 >> By the way, I dropped hal. Maybe KDE will be next?
76 > Fine, that's your choice, just as it was KDE's choice to maximise the
77 > resources devoted to development of KDE4 by not diverting devs' time to
78 > KDE3. Maybe that's why KDE 4.4 is so much nicer to use than 4.3?
82 Glad to hear they are working on KDE 4.4. Maybe it will work good
83 enough for me to use one day soon. It looks promising to me.
84
85 Dale
86