From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:41:25
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [14-07-27 12:32]:
2 > On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:12:47 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > On the one hand, the surface test (extended offline and such) aborts
5 > > as soon the first read fgailure happens.
6 > >
7 > > On the other hand it is said: If the count of bad sectors increases
8 > > over time it is time to change the hd.
9 > >
10 > > How can the second happen, if the first is true???
11 >
12 > My understanding is that the test only aborts if the error is severe
13 > enough to force it to do so. A simple bad block can be skipped and the
14 > rest of the drive tested.
15 >
16 > I've had a couple of drives get to the stage where SMART tests abort at
17 > an error and in both cases the manufacturer replaced them without
18 > question.
21 > --
22 > Neil Bothwick
23 >
24 > If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
25
26 Hi Dale, hi Neil,
27
28 thanks for the infos.
29
30 But it is slightly off the point I tried to explain (I am no native
31 english speaker...sorry...:)
32
33 Suppose - as in my case - I have not yert managed to urge the hd to
34 map the bad sector off...
35
36 Now...all tests abort after scanning 10% of the disk. Disk health
37 status is reported as "PASSED"...cause only one bad sector has been
38 found.
39
40 But 90% of the space of the disk has never been scanned.
41
42 Is this an implementation fault?
43 And if YES...is it the implementation of the firmware?
44 And: Is it my firmware or the one of the drive?
45 ;)
46
47 Best regards,
48 mcc