From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:27:53
1 On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:12:47 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > On the one hand, the surface test (extended offline and such) aborts
4 > as soon the first read fgailure happens.
5 >
6 > On the other hand it is said: If the count of bad sectors increases
7 > over time it is time to change the hd.
8 >
9 > How can the second happen, if the first is true???
10
11 My understanding is that the test only aborts if the error is severe
12 enough to force it to do so. A simple bad block can be skipped and the
13 rest of the drive tested.
14
15 I've had a couple of drives get to the stage where SMART tests abort at
16 an error and in both cases the manufacturer replaced them without
17 question.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.