From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions? Network monitoring scripts
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:33:03
1 Ian Clowes wrote:
2 > fire-eyes wrote:
3 >
4 >>I'm looking for suggestions on software which could do the following 1)
5 >>if our primary gateway goes down, do nothing 2) if it does go down,
6 >>change the default gateway to line B 3) when the primary comes back, set
7 >>the gateway back to B. I have two physical interfaces and one alias.
10 > Hi again
11 >
12 > I did something similar on a RedHat system with modems hooked up to
13 > different telcos and ISPs some years ago. I no longer have the scripts
14 > to hand, but they were similar in consept to the example posted to this
15 > list under the thread 'Load Balancing / Redundant Network ?' today.
16 >
17 > I think I just set the default route off of the box, which in my case
18 > brought up the second PPP connection. I had one script constantly
19 > checking the status of the primary PPP line and one checking the status
20 > of the active line.
21 >
22 > The primary monitor would test the line every five minutes and switch
23 > to/from the secondary as necessary. There were some rules to not switch
24 > every five minutes in case the primary line was having a bout of
25 > intermittent problems. I think I left the secondary up for at least 30
26 > minutes if ever it was switched to.
27 >
28 > The active monitor reported loss of the currently active line and what
29 > it was doing about it, especially if it was the secondard i/f and the
30 > primary was still flagged as failing.
31 >
32 > Is that the sort of thing you're looking for or do you need a 'proper'
33 > package?
34 >
35 > IanC
36
37 Yeah that's what I'm looking for. I am looking at mon, I'm just looking
38 for some other utilities as well. Hopefully a package, as I'm pressed
39 for time.
40
41 Thank you for your responses!
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list