From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there an Apache configuration guide for gentoo?
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:41:05
1 At Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:04:13 +0100 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 04 October 2009, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
4 >> Am Sonntag 04 Oktober 2009 08:28:16 schrieb David Juhl:
5 >> > so if it is read only why can't I read?
6 >> > You don't have permission to access /~david16/ on this server
7 >>
8 >> Does the user that runs the server process have permissions to read from
9 >> tha directory?
10 >>
11 >> Bye...
12 >>
13 >> Dirk
14 >
15 > Typically the directory would be owned by apache and the authentication on it
16 > will be controlled by the apache htpasswd mechanism. In your case you will
17 > need to set:
18 >
19 > Options FollowSymLinks
20 > AllowOverride All
21 >
22 > for each directory. The ownership of the files is less important - they can
23 > be owned by any user/root/apache/etc... BUT the permissions on the directory
24 > must be such so that all can access (x) and read (r) what's in it. I'm going
25 > from memory here, so you may need to try out things until you get it to work.
26
27 You also need to set USERDIR in /etc/conf.d/apache2.
28
29 APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D INFO -D SSL -D SSL_DEFAULT_VHOST -D LANGUAGE -D USERDIR"
30
31 allan