From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:09:15
1 On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:08:40 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday 24 May 2009 00:08:50 Jorge Morais wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 23 May 2009 03:51:40 -0700 (PDT)
6 > >
7 > > Now, I do have concerns about your system having remains of multiple
8 > > python installations.
9 > >
10 > > Any person with python knowledge can give an opinion on whether this
11 > > is dangerous? And what is the easiest way to clean the mess?
12 > >
13 > > One idea: you can can recompile python with a safe
14 > > prefix (such as a subdir of your home), issue make install (not as root,
15 > > for increased safety) and see where Python install its files relative to
16 > > the prefix, so you can delete them from your system
17 > > (to be more careful before deleting a file, you can issue
18 > > qfile <FILE> to see if it is owned by a portage-installed package.
19 > > And in the end you can emerge python properly, from the sources, so all
20 > > the ebuild logic (which is more than just ./configure, make and make
21 > > install) gets applied, and you get a Python installation that respects your
22 > > USE flags, CFLAGS and other system-specific settings (obviously you don't
23 > > get such a system-customized python when you use the binary package from
24 > > tinderbox).
25 >
26 > make/install with --prefix /usr/local/
27 >
28 > That's what it's there for.
29 You seem to be suggesting what he *should have done*
30 The point is, he has already installed multiple (at least 3.0.1 and 2.6.2)
31 vanilla ("fresh" from http://www.python.org/download/releases/)
32 python versions manually (with
33 ./configure -with-fpectl -infodir=/usr/share/info/ -mandir=/usr/share/man
34 make
35 make install prefix=/usr
36 )
37 and then he tried emerge -va python
38
39 He followed instructions from this damn blog
40 http://blogs.pwmn.net/korkakak/2008/06/04/gentoo-i-unmerged-python-now-what
41
42 I fear that his system is now a mess, with remains of multiple python versions.
43 I suggested a idea for how to clean it up (read the quoted text above,
44 starting with "One idea:")
45
46 Anyway, some conclusions:
47 - The blog solution seems to be a quite bad one, for multiple reasons.
48 - A better and easier solution would be to install a binary package from
49 tinderbox. I think he wouldn't even have to extract the tarball manually
50 with tar; he can use qmerge from portage-utils (written in C AFAIK); I'm
51 not sure, haven't used qmerge so far
54 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds