From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 09:10:49
1 On Sunday 24 May 2009 00:08:50 Jorge Morais wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 May 2009 03:51:40 -0700 (PDT)
3 >
4 > Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > And finally, couldn't he have gotten a binary package from
6 > > > http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/dev-lang/
7 > > > ?
8 >
9 > Have you not yet tried to get python from a binary package?
10 > See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4669397.html#4669397
11 > That is both the easiest and cleanest solution I have found so far,
12 > (not that I have researched much, I admit).
13 > And maybe you don't even have to extract the tarball manually with
14 > tar; maybe you can use qmerge from app-portage/portage-utils
15 > (AFAIK it is written in C).
16 >
17 > Now, I do have concerns about your system having remains of multiple
18 > python installations.
19 >
20 > Any person with python knowledge can give an opinion on whether this
21 > is dangerous? And what is the easiest way to clean the mess?
22 >
23 > One idea: you can can recompile python with a safe
24 > prefix (such as a subdir of your home), issue make install (not as root,
25 > for increased safety) and see where Python install its files relative to
26 > the prefix, so you can delete them from your system
27 > (to be more careful before deleting a file, you can issue
28 > qfile <FILE> to see if it is owned by a portage-installed package.
29 > And in the end you can emerge python properly, from the sources, so all
30 > the ebuild logic (which is more than just ./configure, make and make
31 > install) gets applied, and you get a Python installation that respects your
32 > USE flags, CFLAGS and other system-specific settings (obviously you don't
33 > get such a system-customized python when you use the binary package from
34 > tinderbox).
35
36 make/install with --prefix /usr/local/
37
38 That's what it's there for.
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com