From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Simple to upgrade Linux distro
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 05:16:50
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I have a question or two on this. The reason I went with KDE, I use it
4 >> and it is closest to being windozeish. On occasion I read where some of
5 >> those other "lighter" desktops are 'feature rich' like KDE is. Example,
6 >> plug in a USB device and it pops up with a menu to select from a lot
7 >> like KDE does. Is LXDE or Mate like that?
8 >>
9 > To some degree I'd think Mate would offer this kind of experience.
10 > Lightweight options like lxde or xfce are probably going to fall
11 > short. Full Gnome or KDE are are probably as close as you're going to
12 > get to a Windows-like environment.
13 >
14 > Another option I'd toss out there is ChromiumOS, though it isn't
15 > really intended as a mainstream option on non-Chrome hardware. For
16 > $120 a Chromebook is pretty hard to beat, IMO (and a Chromebit or
17 > similar solution is even cheaper). That isn't what you're looking
18 > for, but when relatives ask me about PC recommendations I tend to lean
19 > Chromebook unless they REALLY need to run thick applications, because
20 > they're basically zero maintenance and idiot proof. Oh, and they're
21 > Gentoo derivatives. :)
22 >
23 > Nobody seems to be mentioning full Ubuntu - assuming it performs well
24 > it should of course be considered as an option as well. I'm all for
25 > Xubuntu but it might not be the best fit depending.
29 I found a slightly better rig. I'm going to find a distro and see what
30 Mate looks like and acts like. Heck, if her phone works, that is likely
31 all she plugs into USB except for a keyboard and rodent. I think this
32 one still has PS/2 connectors for those tho. Pretty sure it does.
33
34 Thanks for the ideas tho. I've heard of Mate but never seen it. Heck,
35 I may end up switching if I find something I like. :-D
36
37 Dale
38