From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Simple to upgrade Linux distro
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 00:46:21
1 On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have a question or two on this. The reason I went with KDE, I use it
4 > and it is closest to being windozeish. On occasion I read where some of
5 > those other "lighter" desktops are 'feature rich' like KDE is. Example,
6 > plug in a USB device and it pops up with a menu to select from a lot
7 > like KDE does. Is LXDE or Mate like that?
10 To some degree I'd think Mate would offer this kind of experience.
11 Lightweight options like lxde or xfce are probably going to fall
12 short. Full Gnome or KDE are are probably as close as you're going to
13 get to a Windows-like environment.
14
15 Another option I'd toss out there is ChromiumOS, though it isn't
16 really intended as a mainstream option on non-Chrome hardware. For
17 $120 a Chromebook is pretty hard to beat, IMO (and a Chromebit or
18 similar solution is even cheaper). That isn't what you're looking
19 for, but when relatives ask me about PC recommendations I tend to lean
20 Chromebook unless they REALLY need to run thick applications, because
21 they're basically zero maintenance and idiot proof. Oh, and they're
22 Gentoo derivatives. :)
23
24 Nobody seems to be mentioning full Ubuntu - assuming it performs well
25 it should of course be considered as an option as well. I'm all for
26 Xubuntu but it might not be the best fit depending.
29 Rich