From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Simple to upgrade Linux distro
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 04:10:44
1 On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:46 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> This isn't a Gentoo question but most everyone here used something
7 >>> before Gentoo. I need a simple to upgrade distro for someone else.
8 >>>
9 >>> A friend of mine had windoze XP, which is dead to M$. She needed
10 >>> something and buying a computer or new OS is not a option, even tho she
11 >>> needs to upgrade that 10 or 12 year old thing she has. So, I put Mageia
12 >>> on it a couple years ago, used to be Mandrake way back which is what I
13 >>> started with. She has been doing updates every week or so since it is
14 >>> GUI based and pretty easy. Tell it to update or just click the pop-up
15 >>> when it tells you one is available and when it is done, reboot. Yea,
16 >>> windowish I know. lol Anyway, she did a update and now she can't login
17 >>> to KDE. I drove up, hour away, and tried to figure it out. It has
18 >>> changed so much, I'm pretty clueless. It is NOT Gentoo by any means. I
19 >>> renamed the user directory in case it was a config that the new update
20 >>> was hanging on but nothing. It just won't let you login. Also reset
21 >>> the password as well. Thing is, I installed ICEwm during the install
22 >>> and it works. It logs in but the screen doesn't refresh like it
23 >>> should. You close a app, it's closed but it doesn't refresh the screen
24 >>> so it looks like it is still there. The whole thing is weird. Since I
25 >>> couldn't figure out what the problem was, I tried upgrading to Mageia
26 >>> 6. Figured if it was a software bug, maybe that would fix it. Nope.
27 >>> So, she's using ICEwm for the moment but it is weird.
28 >>>
29 >>> What I'm looking for. Something that I can install fairly quickly from
30 >>> a DVD. Rig is to old to boot from USB stick. Something with a GUI
31 >>> update process that is fairly easy. Uses either KDE by default or is
32 >>> easily installable, hopefully during install by default. The big one,
33 >>> needs to be able to run on older hardware. Her rig is something like a
34 >>> 2GHz single core CPU and around 2GBs of ram. The drives are SATA but
35 >>> that's about the most advanced hardware it has. The video is a built in
36 >>> Intel of some sort. Nothing fast or even fancy for that matter. Yes,
37 >>> I'm keeping a eye out for a newer rig but it is what it is right now.
38 >>>
39 >>> I've used Gentoo for so long, I don't know what other distros offer
40 >>> nowadays. I figure that there are several distros that are graphical
41 >>> nowadays but also need good support for older hardware and easy update
42 >>> process. Googling around isn't helping me much. If I find something I
43 >>> like, no KDE. If I find KDE based and a GUI updater, something else
44 >>> won't work. I figure asking those who have personal experience would be
45 >>> best. :-)
46 >>>
47 >>> Thoughts? Suggestions??
48 >>>
49 >> I second the suggestion to try Xubuntu, though you should also look at
50 >> Lubuntu (which uses LXDE). Sticking to Ubuntu based distributions
51 >> might be a good idea because there is a large userbase that has easy
52 >> to search for answers to common problems.
53 >>
54 >> Plasma 5 might load her hardware too much. Is MATE unsuitable? You can
55 >> also look for even lighter weight window managers and install them on
56 >> top of the default desktop environment, but most of them target power
57 >> users.
58 >>
59 >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/window_manager#List_of_window_managers
60 >>
61 >> R0b0t1.
66 > I have a question or two on this. The reason I went with KDE, I use it
67 > and it is closest to being windozeish. On occasion I read where some of
68 > those other "lighter" desktops are 'feature rich' like KDE is. Example,
69 > plug in a USB device and it pops up with a menu to select from a lot
70 > like KDE does. Is LXDE or Mate like that?
73 MATE is probably the closest to a stereotypical Windows setup and
74 looks better; LXDE should be technically sufficient but it's possible
75 to say it doesn't look very nice. I would actually expect more culture
76 shock going from Windows to KDE than Windows to MATE. MATE and Gnome 2
77 are fairly close to Windows XP in design, granted some things are
78 moved around. Gnome 3 is closer to Windows 8 and 8.1. Plasma 5
79 implements more of the things that one finds in Windows 10.
80
81 (Notably those desktop environments came out *before* the respective
82 Windows versions that share UI/UX design elements with them.)
83
84 When you get to the low end of desktop environments or window mangers,
85 they tend to clash with default window stylings and don't offer any
86 window chrome. They were made by programmers with little or no
87 background in graphic design.
88
89 > The thing about her, she doesn't know a lot about puters but she doesn't
90 > mind clicking around to find a way to get things to work. Example, she
91 > plugged her phone in and figured out how to download pics and stuff.
92 > Heck, I don't know how to do that myself. Then again, my phone is so
93 > old, it may not can do that. It's a old Motorola Razr flip phone which
94 > I maxed out on contacts in my address book a while back. I want it to
95 > be easy for her but at the same time, she can figure things out. She
96 > also knows that as long as she is a user, she can't hurt much. She
97 > stays away from root except when doing updates.
100 Generally if the person can get over the fact the OS isn't Windows and
101 they will have to poke around things will be fine.
102
103 > The biggest thing, her rig is old. It's older than my older rig and
104 > ancient compared to what I'm typing on now which is several years old
105 > itself but has upgrade room. lol
106 >
107 > Thinking about installing some of these on my rig and just seeing what
108 > it looks like. < thinking >
111 Testing out desktop environments and window managers is good fun, but
112 it dries up fast. Time permitting you might want to give your friend a
113 live demo of a few different window managers (probably from one of
114 your computers). Unfortunately my experience with old hardware
115 suggests she will have problems running anything but MATE or LXDE.