From: Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@×××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resize raid1 array
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:31:07
1 On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 06:50:57AM -0500, Simon Turner wrote:
2 > Hi Rasmus,
3 > you will first need to resize your md device. Using mdadm, that
4 > would be done with --grow (check the man, `mdadm /dev/md123 --grow
5 > --size=500G` should do the trick).
6
7 Ah yes, thanks for that. For some reason I had not noted that use of
8 --grow... mdadm /dev/md0 --grow --size=max did the trick nicely thanks.
9
10 > But that will leave your filesystem intact at the current size, so
11 > you'll have to resize the filesystem next. I know ext2&3 support
12 > "growing" but I don't know about other filesystems.
13
14 I use LVM(2) and ext3 so I am ok there.
15
16 > However, since it's a simple raid one, you could create a new raid
17 > device with one drive, format it at 500G, copy the stuff over from the
18 > old raid1, drop the old raid1 device and add it to the new one.
19
20 Yes, thats true. But since this is my root, var, home, etc etc that
21 would require me to go to single-user mode for the duration of the copy.
22 The resync-in-background is much nicer :)
23
24 Thanks for your help.
25
26 Cheers,