From: "Petr Vaněk" <arkamar@×××××.cz>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SDD strategies...
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 09:05:04
1 On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 06:59:53AM +0100, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > currentlu I am setting up a new PC for my 12-years old one,
5 > which has reached the limits of its "computational power" :)
6 >
7 > SSDs are a common replacement for HDs nowaday -- but I still trust my
8 > HDs more than this "flashy" things...call me retro or oldschool, but
9 > it my current "Bauchgefühl" (gut feeling).
10 >
11 > To reduce write cycles to the SSD, which are quite a lot when using
12 > UNIX/Limux (logging etc) and especially GENTOO (compiling sources
13 > instead of using binary packages -- which is GOOD!), I am planning
14 > the following setup:
15 >
16 > The sustem will boot from SSD.
17 >
18 > The HD will contain the whole system including the complete root
19 > filesustem. Updateing, installing via Gentoo tools will run using
20 > the HD. If that process has ended, I will rsync the HD based root
21 > fileystem to the SSD.
22 >
23 > Folders, which will be written to by the sustem while running will
24 > be symlinked to the HD.
25 >
26 > This should work...?
27 >
28 > Or is there another idea to setup a system which will benefit from
29 > the advantages of a SSD by avoiding its disadvantages?
30
31 I use tmpfs to reduce compilation writes [1].
32
33 tmpfs /var/tmp/portage/ tmpfs uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=0775,size=2G,noatime 0 0
34 tmpfs /tmp/ tmpfs mode=0777,size=1G,noexec,nosuid,noatime 0 0
35
36 2G is usually enough for most of packages.
37
38 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs
39
40 Petr