From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 02:53:33
1 On Jul 1, 2013 9:45 PM, "Grant Edwards" <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2013-07-01, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On 01/07/2013 23:52, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > >> I've just recently run into a problem where sometimes when a machine
6 > >> boots, the kernel can't find init. This appears to be because my grub
7 > >> configuration line says "root=/dev/sda5" and _sometimes_ the drive
8 > >> that contains my root partition is sdb instead of sda. AFAICT, for the
9 > >> past 30 years the linux kernel was 100% consistent in the order that
10 > >> hard drives were labelled -- but recently that has seems to have
11 > >> changed.
12 > >>
13 > >> I use partition labels in my fstab, so that's not a problem, but after
14 > >> all these years, the kernel still doesn't know how to grok parition
15 > >> labels.
16 > >>
17 > >> Are we really expected now to set up an initrd just so that the kernel
18 > >> can find the root partition??
19 > >
20 > > Where have you been for the past 6 months?
21 > >
22 > > Did you miss the entire clusterfuck debate about latest udev tricks?
23 >
24 > No.
25 >
26 > > Those names depend only on the order in which devices are discovered,
27 > > and that process has always been indeterminate.
28 >
29 > Really? I've been running Linux on a lot of machines for 30 years --
30 > often on machines with a half-dozen hard drives -- and I never saw
31 > drive order change from one reboot to the next until today. That's
32 > quite a lucky streak.
33
34 Since Linus started writing Linux in 1991 (22 years ago), I want to know
35 which time machine did you use.
36
37 Regards.
38 --