From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 03:00:50
1 On 2013-07-02, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Jul 1, 2013 9:45 PM, "Grant Edwards" <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >>> Those names depend only on the order in which devices are discovered,
5 >>> and that process has always been indeterminate.
6 >>
7 >> Really? I've been running Linux on a lot of machines for 30 years --
8 >> often on machines with a half-dozen hard drives -- and I never saw
9 >> drive order change from one reboot to the next until today. That's
10 >> quite a lucky streak.
11 >
12 > Since Linus started writing Linux in 1991 (22 years ago), I want to know
13 > which time machine did you use.
14
15 Doh! I meant 20 years. The first time was just a typo, and then
16 somehow after reading my original post I did it again.
17
18 I started running Linux in 93 with a friend's Yggdrasil CD and a Sun
19 CD drive I borrowed from work. I think that was on a 25MHz 486 with
20 4MB of RAM and two 30MB hard drives.
23 Grant