From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: bcachefs
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:22:03
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
5 > > Anyone tested/ deployed bcachefs on gentoo yet?
6
7 > My sense is that it could be a while before this becomes usable.
8 > From the list post it doesn't yet support snapshots, or multiple
9 > devices, and the disk format isn't stable (which isn't the most
10 > important thing, but it is a big milestone).
11
12 That's why I was thinking to test it out on my new auth DNS servers, I'd try
13 to use it to set on of the slaves (secondary) dns servers. It would not
14 be a critical issue if it failed.
17 > But, I'm all for having more options. It just seems like there is a
18 > lot of hype - people talk about it like it is done.
19
20 Googling did not find any generic examples (tools?) to format a HD with it,
21 I've also have some ide-CF (compact Flashcards) that look like SSD (low
22 budget) on an old single core amd64 that would be just peachy for this sort
23 of test.
24
25 Ideas on how to format the HD [1] ? Other tools?
26
27 > I'm not sure at the data model level how it compares to ZFS/btrfs, and
28 > what advantages/disadvantages it might have. Obviously it supports
29 > bcache, which is something. I'd really like to see something like
30 > that become possible with btrfs (without implementing it as a separate
31 > layer underneath).
34 Well, as I remember it, it was not that you 'stepped forward' to be the
35 go-to dev on btrfs, it that most everyone else, 'stepped back'... or
36 something like that. Still, if the writes using bcachefs can be controlled
37 (batched) then it just might be a hi perform fs for Solid State HD,
38 regardless of how the electronics/gates are set up. I usually use ext2 for
39 those old CF, but I'm feeling adventuresome with bcachefs. Maybe playing
40 around with bcachefs, will illuminate a btrfs pathway.....
43 James
44
45 [1] http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/